Here are some general tips that can be used to improve the efficiency and functioning of most people and spaces:
- Store items as close as possible to where they are used. This saves time retrieving the item and makes it more likely that the item will be put away after use.
- Whenever possible, use adjustable shelving, especially in closets. This gives you flexibility when the contents of the shelves change.
- To maximize storage in a small space, choose furniture that serves more than one purpose such as an ottoman that has storage space inside and a soft top that provides additional seating.
- Make it easy for everyone to participate in clean-up tasks by labeling storage containers. If you live with toddlers, use photos of the contents in addition to words.
- If you are procrastinating a big project, break it down into manageable tasks or blocks of time. Picking up or cleaning for ten minutes is a lot more palatable than tackling it for 2 hours. Once you get started, you will feel less overwhelmed and motivated by your progress.